Who needs those canned versions of Sloppy Joes? This is an easy to prepare
homemade version that you and your family will love. You could also substitute
ground turkey or soy crumbles for the ground beef.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup ketchup (I use Simply Heinz – doesn’t have high fructose corn syrup)
- 2 Tbsp water
- 1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon prepared yellow mustard
- Whole wheat mini rolls (Publix has good ones)
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, sauté the onion and red pepper. Add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, cook until browned; drain off liquids.
- Stir in the ketchup, water, brown sugar, garlic powder, and mustard.
- Serve on whole wheat rolls.
- Calories: 250
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 g
- Cholesterol: 70 mg
- Sodium: 425 mg
- Carbohydrates: 12 g
- Fiber: 0.5 g
- Protein: 22 g