This is even better once it sits for a while, overnight if possible. It is full of flavor, healthy fats, and fresh vegetables and makes a perfect side for some lean grilled chicken or fish!
- 6 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3/4 cup uncooked whole wheat couscous
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper
- ½ cup cucumber
- 6 tablespoons (1 1/2 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash of freshly ground black pepper
- Bring vegetable broth and 6 tablespoons water to a boil in a medium saucepan; gradually stir in couscous.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Combine cooked couscous and remaining ingredients in a large bowl.
Calories 201 Fat 8.7 (sat 1.7 g, mono 6 g, poly 1 g); Iron 0.9mg; Cholesterol
6mg; Calcium 56mg; Carbohydrate 25.8g; Sodium 373mg; Protein 5.5g;
Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 3/4 cup)