- 1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 c low-sodium chicken broth (such as Kitchen Basics)
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 1 can (14-oz) petite or regular diced tomatoes
- 3 c chopped butternut squash (about 1 medium squash, peeled and seeded)
- 2/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 c chopped fresh spinach
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil until hot. Add the chopped onions, oregano, and garlic. Sauté for 5-7 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is softened.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and simmer until the chicken is cooked, 10-15 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the tomatoes, butternut squash, and quinoa. Simmer for 15 minutes until the squash is tender and quinoa is cooked. If desired, scoop out some of the squash, mash it and return it to the pot.
- Shred the cooked chicken and return to the pot. Add the salt and pepper. Add more salt sparingly if needed to taste, if needed.
- Stir in the spinach. Cook 1-2 minutes until the spinach is wilted. Serve warm.
Makes 8 (1 cup) servings
- Calories: 185
- Fat: 3.25 g
- Saturated Fat: 0.5
- Cholesterol: 41 mg
- Sodium: 482
- Carbohydrate: 17 g
- Fiber: 2.75 g
- Protein: 22 g