Spring Break is here and for many that means travel. Whether it is by car or plane, for just the afternoon or the whole week, don’t get stuck without anything to nibble on. When hunger takes over we tend to overeat and not make the healthiest choices. Think about the last time your were starving. Did you want something good for your body at that point or did you just want anything and everything? Having a healthy, balanced snack when you are truly hungry to tide you over until your next meal is a smart move.
Airports and convenience stores are the last place you want to be when you get a craving while cruising. It takes a little time to think ahead and plan, but it pays off. Here are some great packable ideas to throw together before your trip.
1. Celery and peanut butter
2. Apple and almonds or almond butter
3. Cubed cheese and Wheat Thins or Triscuits
4. Frozen grapes
5. Mandarin oranges with a handful (1/4 cup) cashews
6. String cheese and a banana
7. Homemade trail mix – it doesn’t have to be fancy. Make individual little snack bags of a variety of nuts with raisins or dried cranberries. Remember, a serving is a 1/4 cup (160 calories) so keep that in mind when you are making your snack bags.
8. Hummus & pita
9. Cut up peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, baby carrots, cucumbers, and grape tomatoes with Ranch dip
10. Protein bar – This one is last for a reason. I always prefer REAL food over a bar or supplement, traveling or not, but when you get in a pinch and a bar is your only option. Choose smart. Look for at least 5 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber. Kind Bar or Nature Valley Chewy Protein Bar meet this criteria and actually taste good to tide you over.